This document is also available in PDF (90 Kb) [help with PDF files]
This is a summary sheet only. For full detailed procedures, please contact TCCU (888-957-7224 / email@example.com) to obtain a copy of the complete CBSA System Outage Contingency Plan.
- Carrier reporting procedures for Highway shipments into Canada during an electronic outage
- Highway Carriers (including LTL and High Value Shipment Courier)
- Outage Scenarios:
- Full CBSA system and EDI outages, EDI inbound and outbound messaging outages, Portal outages and delays, Client planned and unplanned outages, Direct Connect, VAN and Customs Internet Gateway (CIG) outages, blackouts, brown outs and delays in EDI processing.
- Reporting Scenarios:
- Import, CSA (via EDI), CLVS
- Continue to file ACI cargo and conveyance data electronically as per normal
- Proceed to the border with paper documents. (Two (2) copies of Leadsheet, PARS, A8A-Cargo control document, Consist Sheet, Bills of Lading etc). All applicable CCD data elements must be provided in a paper format.
- For Client unplanned outages, notify the TCCU as soon as known (888-957-7224). Ensure the TCCU is kept updated on the status of the outage every four (4) hours.
- CSA - Continue to transmit pre-arrival data or revert to CSA paper processing using the three barcodes
- CLVS - where the participant's electronic proprietary system fails and/or becomes unavailable, the participant is required to revert to a paper-based process
- Highway Carrier to present Leadsheet indicating "CBSA system down at time of Report". CBSA will stamp and return one copy to the driver which will be retained as proof of report.
- For release at FPOA Highway carrier to present paper documents, with transaction # noted to CBSA. (LTL may present using consist sheet with backup documents).
- For release inland, Highway carrier to present 2 copies of A8A at FPOA (or electronic equivalent) showing location goods are bonding to. (Previously grandfathered CSA EDI LTL carrier not required to present A8A for bonded shipments at FPOA)
- Highway carrier to present CCD to warehouse operator for in-bond shipments
- CSA – Present lead sheet with conveyance barcode or 2 barcodes for paper processing as well as a copy of driver CDRP/FAST card. CBSA will advise 'authorized to deliver'.
- CLVS - if a paper Cargo/Release List cannot be presented by the company, the CBSA could accept any other relevant business documentation for each individual shipment (commercial invoice, cargo control document, manifest, etc.), as long as it contains the necessary transactional data
- Highway Carrier to submit all trade documents processed via the contingency process electronically, once the outage is resolved
- Ensure responses for all cargo, conveyance and arrival messaging have been received and resend for those that are missing
- Correct any electronic errors or rejects after the outage is over.
- Retain all stamped paper documents presented during the outage for audit purpose
- Date modified: