Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Card

Cardholders of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Travel Card (ABTC) can use fast-track lines when travelling to participating APEC countries. The Canadian pilot was launched on June 16, 2014


ABTC members get faster border clearance en route to participating APEC countries. Canadian members also benefit from Trusted Traveller kiosks when returning to Canada.


All Canadian citizens must be NEXUS members before applying for an ABTC.



The non-refundable fee is US$70.

The ABTC is valid for five years, unless the member's passport and/or NEXUS card expires. In addition, ABTC membership is invalid if NEXUS membership is revoked.

How to apply and renew

Applications and renewals are coordinated through the U.S. Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System. Once your application is approved, you will be asked to visit an Enrolment Centre to finalize your enrolment and provide a digitized signature. You will then receive your card by mail.

Using ABTC

Canadian cardholders

Canadian ABTC members use designated APEC lines when travelling to participating APEC countries and also benefit from Trusted Traveller kiosks when returning to Canada. Canadian members must still present all required documents such as passports, visas and permits when using their ABTC.

Foreign cardholders

Currently, 19 of the 21 participating APEC countries issue ABTCs. Foreign cardholders can enter Canada using designated APEC lines at eight major international airports in the following cities:

  • Vancouver
  • Edmonton
  • Calgary
  • Winnipeg
  • Toronto
  • Ottawa
  • Montréal
  • Halifax

When using designated APEC lines to enter Canada, foreign ABTC holders will be required to show the following travel documents to a border services officer:

Participating ABTC countries

Canada and the United States are transitional members. Other full ABTC members are: Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China, Hong Kong (China), Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, Vietnam and Russia.

Declaring goods

The CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) and the Traveller Declaration Card (TDC) are two separate documents for declaring goods.

Anyone entering Canada by plane, including ABTC members, must complete the CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) to declare goods. Travellers must also report if they are carrying money equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 when entering Canada.

The Traveller Declaration Card (TDC) is for Canadians who have goods to declare that exceed their personal exemptions. Members can pay any duties and taxes owing at a cashier located nearby.

U.S. residents must pay the cashier any duties and taxes owing.

Canadian and U.S. residents who are importing commercial, restricted and prohibited goods must report to a border services officer, instead of the self-serve kiosk.

Contact information

For enquiries regarding the Canadian ABTC pilot, contact the CBSA.

Date modified: