CARM: CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management project
From: Canada Border Services Agency
The CARM project is a multi-year digital initiative that will change how we collect duties and taxes for commercial goods imported into Canada. Through CARM, the CBSA will modernize and streamline the accounting process for imported commercial goods.
Once fully implemented, CARM will simplify the overall importing process by:
- providing a modern interface for importing into Canada
- giving importers self-service access to their information
- improving consistency of compliance with trade rules
The implementation of CARM is structured in a series of releases. The Accounts Receivable Ledger (ARL) was the first phase of the CARM project. For details on ARL, consult Commercial payments and accounts.
CARM Release 1:
Release 1 launched the CARM Client Portal, a self-service tool that facilitates the accounting and revenue management processes with the CBSA.
The CARM Client Portal is available to importers and brokers, as well as trade consultants who currently submit rulings on behalf of importers. Those who have onboarded to the portal are able to view their transactions and statements of account, request a ruling and pay invoices with new electronic payment options.
CARM Release 2
Release 2 soft launch is planned for to allow selected industry partners to test their own internal systems and allow time for software service providers to continue to certify their software with CARM.
In , CARM will become the official system of record for the collection of duties and taxes for commercial goods imported into Canada.
The release scheduled in will introduce the following features:
- Electronic commercial accounting declarations that you can correct and adjust
- Changes to the Release Prior to Payment (RPP) program
- Harmonized billing cycles
- New offsetting options
- Electronic management of appeals and compliance actions
- The ability to:
- register for a Business Number (BN9)
- enrol in various CBSA commercial programs
Note: As of , the ability to register for an importer or exporter account (RM) will only be available via the CARM Client Portal. The Canada Revenue Agency will no longer be providing this service.
Further enhancements are expected to become available in the Fall of .
Communications and engagement
- Share your thoughts: Proposed regulatory amendments to support the implementation of CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) Closed
- CARM Trade Chain Partner Working Group provides ongoing input, recommendations and feedback on the CARM design and implementation
- Onboarding documentation for the CARM Client Portal
- Client support contact form
- Request to be added to our distribution list for CARM-related communications at email@example.com
- Join CARM on LinkedIn
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: