CARM: CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management project
From the Canada Border Services Agency
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) project is a multi-year initiative that will transform the collection of duties and taxes for goods imported into Canada. Through CARM, the CBSA will modernize and streamline the process of importing commercial goods.
Once fully implemented, CARM will:
- simplify the overall importing process
- provide a modern interface for importing into Canada
- give importers self-service access to their information
- reduce the cost of importing into Canada
- improve consistency of compliance with trade rules
The implementation of CARM is structured in a series of releases. The Accounts Receivable Ledger (ARL) was the first phase of the CARM project. For details on ARL, consult Commercial payments and accounts.
CARM Release 1: May 25, 2021
Release 1 launches the CARM Client Portal, a self-service tool that will facilitate accounting and revenue management processes with the CBSA.
The CARM Client Portal is now available for importers, brokers and trade consultants, who will be able to view their transactions and statements of account, request a ruling and pay invoices with new electronic payment options.
CARM Release 2: To be announced
Release 2 will expand the functionalities of the CARM Client Portal by adding:
- electronic commercial accounting declarations with ability for corrections and adjustments
- changes to release-prior-to-payment requirements for bonds
- harmonized billing cycles
- new offsetting options
- electronic management of appeals and compliance actions
Communications and engagement
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: