Customs Notice 19-18 - Amendments to the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement (CIFTA)- Minor Processing Operations
Revised May 31, 2022
1. On May 28, 2018, Canada and Israel signed the Canada-Israel Free Trade Amending Protocol 2018, amending the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement (CIFTA or Agreement) that originally came into force on .
2. The amended Agreement entered into force on and includes a modified definition for what constitutes minor processing as well as additional countries beyond that of the United States, where CIFTA-eligible goods may undergo minor processing prior to entering Canada.
3. It is proposed that the Proof of Origin of Imported Goods Regulations, Free Trade Agreement Advance Rulings Regulations, Part 5 of the Refund of Duties Regulations and the Declaration of Minor Processing (Form E669) be revised accordingly, and that these amendments be made retroactively to September 1, 2019 pursuant to paragraph 167.1(a) of the Customs Act.
4. For more information, please consult the Agreement, in particular, Article 3.6 for the definition of minor processing, Annex 3.12 for the full list of countries and Article 3.12 (Direct Shipment and Shipment Through a Non-Party) to determine whether goods are eligible for minor processing operations.
5. Please note that as of the entry into force of the Agreement on September 1, 2019, the Declaration of Minor Processing (Form E669) is the form to be completed for CIFTA-eligible goods that have undergone minor processing in the territory of a non-Party prior to entering Canada.
6. For more information, call the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply):
1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064
Contact Us at the CBSA website may also be accessed for information.
- Date modified: