Food, plant and animal inspections

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), and Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) establish the requirements for all food, plants, animals and related products entering or leaving the country. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for enforcing these requirements as they apply at the border in both the travellers and commercial streams in all modes.

Most requested

Services and information

Bringing food, plant and animal products into Canada

Requirements when travelling with food, plant and animal products, how to help Canada's ecosystems.

Penalties and fines: Importing goods for personal use

Violation rates, warnings and how to make payments.

Be aware and declare

Products and common mistakes.

Travelling with animals

Import and travel requirements, service dogs, exotic pets.

Protecting Canada from invasive species

Information on invasive species and their pathways such as firewood, Asian carps, wood packaging material, soil, zebra and quagga mussels.

Commercial shipments

Commercial imports, exports, Safe Food Canadians (SFC) licence, contacts.

Inspections and fees

Inspection types and of associated fees.


Appeals, guides, legislation and more.

Date modified: