Other Government Departments and Agencies: Reference List for Exporters

This document is also available in PDF (241 Kb) [help with PDF files]

To help ensure that prohibited and controlled goods are not illegally exported from Canada, the Canada Border Services Agency assists other federal government departments and agencies by administering and enforcing legislation and regulations on their behalf. Inquiries about these exporting regulations should be directed to the relevant department or agency. Below is a list of some of the most commonly exported commodities that may require permits and/or certificates from other federal government departments and agencies.

Government Department/Agency Telephone number and website Commodities/area of responsibility
Canada Post www.canadapost.ca
Certain items cannot be exported by mail, e.g. perfumes, liquids, perishables, alcohol and tobacco.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency www.inspection.gc.ca
Food, plants, animals and related products
Food labelling
Wood packaging
Fisheries and Oceans Canada info@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fish and seafood
Canadian Heritage www.canadianheritage.gc.ca
Goods on the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List
Canadian Nuclear Safety
Nuclear material, equipment and technology
Nuclear-related, dual-use material, equipment and technology
Radiation emitting devices
Environment and Climate Change Canada www.ec.gc.ca
Endangered animals and plants
Hazardous recyclable material
Hazardous waste
Ozone-depleting substances
Global Affairs Canada www.international.gc.ca
Goods exported to countries on the Area Control List and/or subject to United Nations sanctions.
Goods on the Export Control List
Firearms, military weapons
Health Canada www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Controlled substances
Controlled or restricted drugs
Precursor chemicals
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada www.ic.gc.ca
Intellectual Property Rights
Natural Resources Canada www.nrcan.gc.ca  
343-292-6096 NRCan General Inquiries
613-948-5200 Explosives including fireworks and ammunition
1-866-539-0766 Diamonds only (Kimberley Process Office)
Public Health Agency of Canada www.publichealth.gc.ca
613-948-7988 Bodies and body parts
613-957-1779 Human pathogens
1-800-545-7661 Emergency Number
Transport Canada www.tc.gc.ca
Transportation of dangerous goods

For more information, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time, except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.


Date modified: