As a Student Border Services Officer (SBSO) you will work with Border Services Officers (BSOs) to determine the admissibility of people and goods to Canada.
SBSOs work at international airports and mail processing centres in 19 cities across Canada. They do not carry a duty firearm.
- British Columbia: Richmond, Abbotsford
- Alberta: Calgary, Edmonton
- Saskatchewan: Saskatoon, Regina
- Manitoba: Winnipeg
- Ontario: Mississauga, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa
- Quebec: Québec City, Montréal, Dorval
- New Brunswick: Fredericton, Moncton
- Nova Scotia: Halifax
- Prince Edward Island: Charlottetown
- Newfoundland: St. John's
Most opportunities are full time from to . Continued part-time employment may be possible in fall and winter .
Hourly rates of pay
SBSOs are paid $12.93 to $25.94 per hour, depending on their current level of study. See Rates of Pay for Post-secondary School Students.
- full-time student registered at a recognized institution (CEGEP, college, university, etc.)
- be returning to full-time studies in the next academic term
- meet the minimum age requirement to work in the province or territory where the job is located
Preference may be given to students studying in a field related to the job, such as: criminology, law, safety/security studies, psychology, sociology, customs border services or police studies.
You must also be willing to:
- wear and maintain a uniform as per the CBSA's Uniform Policy and Standard of Appearance
- work various shifts, including weekends and holidays
- work overtime (as required)
- possess a valid driver’s license that allows you to operate a government vehicle (where required)
If you are considered for employment, we will arrange for you to get:
- a secret security clearance
- a transportation security clearance (where required)
- a medical clearance completed by a physician to confirm your physical ability to perform the duties and training required of an SBSO (where required)
- training to carry, use and maintain CBSA-issued defensive equipment (where required)
SBSOs receive a combination of classroom and online training, as well as on-the-job coaching and mentoring.
- Date modified: