Language selection


Acceptable types of identification for international visitors to Canada

Find out which what identification international visitors need to carry when visiting Canada.



Border services officer Robichaud on screen. Text on screen: Passport, NEXUS or FAST card, Passport and Official proof of status, Passport and visa when applicable.

BSO Robichaud: Hi, everyone. Border Services Officer Robichaud here to remind you to carry proper identification when traveling to Canada. A passport is always best, but U.S. citizens can also use a NEXUS or FAST card. U.S. permanent residents require a passport and official proof of status. International visitors need a passport and a visa when applicable. If you do not have the proper documents, you could be delayed or refused entry into Canada.

CBSA website address on screen (

For more information, visit our website.

Canada wordmark on screen.

Date modified: