Canadian border information and services for non-residents visiting, settling in or doing business with Canada.
- Information on goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) (Canada Revenue Agency)
- Bringing animals and pets into Canada (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
- I am a gun user visiting Canada (Canadian Firearms Program)
- Postal importations (CBSA)
- Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents (CBSA)
Electronic travel authorization
New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.
Travellers who apply for an eTA are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer help in getting an eTA. These companies are not operating on behalf of the Government of Canada. Many have established websites that charge a fee to provide information and submit eTA applications.
This Government of Canada website is the official place to apply for an eTA.
Events in Canada
Visitors to Canada
- Travel Tips
- Information for Visitors
- Customs Declaration Card - Completion Guide
- Can I enter Canada?
- Transiting through Canada without a Visa
- Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents
- Do you want to visit Canada? (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
- Legislative requirements for the presentation of persons (CBSA Memorandum D2-5-0)
- Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances by Non-Residents
(CBSA Memorandum D2-1-1)
- Travellers requiring mobility assistance at Canadian international airports (CBSA Memorandum D2-5-3)
Coming to Canada to study or work
For processing of work permit and study permit applications, or confirmation of permanent residence, temporary residents should visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to complete an application or to find an IRCC office closest to their current residence to book an appointment for processing. For additional details, to access IRCC online services or to make an appointment, visit IRCC or call 1-888-242-2100.
- Accounting for your personal effects
- Temporary Foreign Workers Program
- Study and work permit requests at Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle and Saint-Armand/Philipsburg
- Study and work permit requests, and requests for processing of confirmation of permanent residence at the Peace Bridge, Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and Rainbow Bridge
Securing the border
- Date modified: