Language selection


Licensed customs brokers

Information on how to import goods into Canada is available on this website, or the importer can contact the local customs office.

On this page

How customs brokers can do business on behalf of importers and exporters

Importers may choose to prepare and submit their own release and accounting documentation. Importers who do not wish to transact business with the CBSA directly may authorize an agent to transact business on their behalf. Although importers may use an agent to transact business with the CBSA, the importer is ultimately responsible for the accounting documentation, payment of duties and taxes, and subsequent corrections such as re-determination of classification, origin and valuation. The importer remains liable for all duties owing until either the importer or the agent pays them.

Agents are required to obtain written authorization from their clients in order to transact business on behalf of their clients. This business may include but is not limited to:

Note: Importers and exporters who use a broker to carry out responsibilities on their behalf are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of import and export transactions. This includes any AMPS penalties that may be issued for non-compliance. It is recommended that businesses work closely with service providers and with the CBSA to ensure that import and export transactions fully comply with all CBSA requirements.

Licensed customs brokers

While in most cases any duly authorized agent may transact business with the CBSA on behalf of clients, only a licensed customs broker may account for goods and pay duties under Section 32 of the Customs Act as an agent of an importer or owner. Activities under Section 32 are the last three activities listed above. It should be noted that separately incorporated divisions of a single company are separate legal entities and may not transact business under Section 32 of the Customs Act on behalf of one another.

You may contact the CBSA’s Licensing Unit if you would like to:

Please send this information, along with any supporting documentation, to Acting as a customs broker without a licence, may result in the application of a penalty (C011) under the Administrative Monetary Penalties System (AMPS).

Note: Fees charged for brokerage services constitute a private business transaction between the customs broker and the client. The CBSA does not intervene in fee disputes unless the client can demonstrate that the customs broker is in contravention of the Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations.

National licensing for customs brokers

The transition to national licensing happened automatically. You do not need to apply for the single licence. It is valid at all customs offices in Canada.

How this change impacts your brokerage

Customs brokers with a single licence may operate at all customs offices in Canada.

If you hold several customs broker licences, your new national licence is valid across all customs offices in Canada.

If you had application(s) in for additional licences, they are not necessary under national licensing. Applications for additional licences were cancelled as of .

You can expect to receive a new national licence certificate within 90 business days from . They are being generated automatically for all existing customs brokers. If you do not receive a new certificate, contact the CBSA’s Commercial Registration Unit.

What to do with your current licence(s)

Your licence will remain valid until it is replaced with the new national licence. Existing customs brokers can begin to transact business at any CBSA customs office in Canada while they are waiting to receive their new licence.

Once you have received your new national licence certificate, the old licence must be removed from display in the broker’s business location. Customs brokers do not need to surrender old licences to the CBSA.

Old licences can be disposed of or kept for nostalgic purposes but will no longer be valid after 90 business days after national licensing is implemented.

Information kept on file

We kept the following information on the primary customs broker licence:

If you do not want the address associated with your primary customs broker licence to be considered your head office, contact the Commercial Registration Unit.

Fees and payments

The annual fee for a national licence remains CAD $600. Payments are to be made the same as before, by cheques made payable to “Receiver General for Canada”.

Renewal notices will be sent by the Commercial Registration Unit every calendar year for payment by March 31st.

What to do about your financial security

The financial security requirement stays the same at CAD $50,000.

Customs brokers who held one licence and one security deposit prior to national licensing do not need to make any changes to their financial security.

Customs brokers with multiple local licences prior to national licensing must have, as of :

Related D-memos

Related forms

Related links

Contact us

Licensing Unit:

Commercial Registration Unit:

Date modified: