Language selection


Goods that may require export permits

Goods that are controlled, regulated or prohibited, may require export permits, certificates or licences from other government departments and agencies. Below is a list of such goods. It is not meant to be exhaustive.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you are complying with all applicable requirements when exporting your goods. Please direct your enquiries about export permit, certificate or licence requirements to the relevant department or agency.

Contact us for more information

On line

Border information services


Canada: 1-800-461-9999 or by TTY at 1-866-335-3237
Outside Canada (long distance charges apply): 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064

Office hours

8 am to 4 pm, local time
Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays)

List of goods

The information below is provided for your convenience only and is subject to change without notice.

Commodities/area of responsibility Government Department/Agency Telephone number
Bodies and body parts; human pathogens Public Health Agency of Canada 1-844-280-5020
Emergency Number: 1-800-545-7661
Controlled or restricted drugs; controlled substances; narcotics; precursor chemicals Health Canada 1-866-225-0709
Diamonds only (Kimberley Process Office) Natural Resources Canada 1-866-539-0766
Endangered animals and plants; hazardous recyclable material; hazardous waste; ozone-depleting substances Environment and Climate Change Canada 1-800-668-6767
Explosives including fireworks and ammunition Natural Resources Canada 613-948-5200
Firearms; military weapons; goods exported to countries on the Area Control List and/or subject to United Nations sanctions; goods on the Export Control List Global Affairs Canada 1-800-267-8376
Fish and seafood Fisheries and Oceans Canada 613-993-0999
Food, plants, animals and related products; food labelling; wood packaging Canadian Food Inspection Agency 1-800-442-2342
Goods on the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List Canadian Heritage 1-866-811-0055
Intellectual Property Rights Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada 1-800-328-6189
Items that cannot be exported by mail (e.g. perfumes, liquids, perishables, alcohol, tobacco) Canada Post 1-866-607-6301
NRCan General Enquiries Natural Resources Canada 1-855-525-9293
Nuclear material, equipment and technology; nuclear-related, dual-use material, equipment and technology; radiation emitting devices Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission 1-800-668-5284
Transportation of dangerous goods Transport Canada 1-866-995-9737
Date modified: