Certain Line Pipe 1
Dumping & Subsidizing (China)
- Product Information
The subject goods are defined as:
"Carbon and alloy steel line pipe originating in or exported from the People's Republic of China, welded or seamless, having an outside diameter from 2.375 inches (60.3 mm) up to and including 24 inches (609.6 mm), including line pipe meeting or supplied to meet any one or several of API 5L, CSA Z245.1, ISO 3183, ASTM A333, ASTM A106, ASTM A53-B or their equivalents, in all grades, whether or not meeting specifications for other end uses (e.g. single-, dual-, or multiple-certified, for use in oil and gas, piling pipe, or other applications), and regardless of end finish (plain ends, beveled ends, threaded ends, or threaded and coupled ends), surface finish (coated or uncoated), wall thickness, or length, excluding galvanized line pipe and excluding stainless steel line pipe (containing 10.5 percent or more by weight of chromium), excluding goods covered by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal's Finding in Inquiry No. NQ-2012-002, and goods covered by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal's order in Expiry Review No. RR-2012-003."
For greater certainty, the product definition includes:
- unfinished line pipe (including pipe that may or may not already be tested, inspected, and/or certified to line pipe specifications) originating in China and imported for use in the production or finishing of line pipe meeting final specifications, including outside diameter, grade, wall-thickness, length, end finish, or surface finish; and
- non-prime and secondary pipes ("limited service products").
- Investigation Information
The dates of the investigative proceedings and findings concerning this case are:
Action Date Initiation of Investigation August 28, 2015 Preliminary Determination December 11, 2015 Final Determination February 24, 2016 Canadian International Trade Tribunal's Finding March 29, 2016
- Tariff Classification Numbers
Prior to January 1, 2019, the subject goods were usually classified under the following tariff classification numbers:
Beginning January 1, 2019, under the revised customs tariff schedule, subject goods are normally classified under the following tariff classification numbers:
Please note that these tariff classification numbers may apply to goods which are not subject to SIMA measures, may change because of amendments to the Departmental Consolidation of the Customs Tariff, or the subject goods may be imported under tariff classification numbers that are not listed. Refer to the product definition for the authoritative details regarding the subject goods.
For more information on the tariff classification numbers, please refer to the CBSA's Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System website.
- Duty Liability
Country of Origin or Export: China
Information regarding the normal values of subject goods should be obtained from the exporter. The following table identifies the exporters who currently have been issued normal values:
Country Exporter Cooperative Since Last Revised China Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. / Baosteel America Inc. 2016-02 2016-03 Hengyang Steel Tube Group International Trading Inc. / Hengyang Valin Steel Tube Co., Ltd. / Hengyang Valin MPM Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Huludao City Steel Pipe Industrial Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Jiangsu Changbao Steel Tube Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Jiangsu Valin Xigang Special Steel Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Tianjin Huilitong Steel Tube Co., Ltd. / Tianjin Longshenghua Import & Export Trade Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Wuxi Huayou Special Steel Co., Ltd. / Wuxi Sp.steel Tube Manufacturing Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03 Yangzhou Lontrin Steel Tube Co., Ltd. 2016-02 2016-03
For importations of subject goods originating in/or exported from China, for which the exporter has not been issued normal values, the anti-dumping duty is equal to 351.4% of the export price.
- Duty Liability
Country of Origin or Export: China
The following table identifies the exporters who currently have a specific amount of subsidy:
Country Exporter Amount of Subsidy RMB / MT Cooperative Since Last Revised China Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. / Baosteel America Inc. 31.35 2016-02 2016-03 Hengyang Steel Tube Group International Trading Inc. / Hengyang Valin Steel Tube Co., Ltd. / Hengyang Valin MPM Co., Ltd. 34.51 2016-02 2016-03 Huludao City Steel Pipe Industrial Co., Ltd. 12.10 2016-02 2016-03 Jiangsu Changbao Steel Tube Co., Ltd. 267.30 2016-02 2016-03 Jiangsu Valin Xigang Special Steel Co., Ltd. 289.93 2016-02 2016-03 Tianjin Huilitong Steel Tube Co., Ltd. / Tianjin Longshenghua Import & Export Trade Co., Ltd. 51.85 2016-02 2016-03 Wuxi Huayou Special Steel Co., Ltd. / Wuxi Sp.steel Tube Manufacturing Co., Ltd. 287.31 2016-02 2016-03 Yangzhou Lontrin Steel Tube Co., Ltd. 260.44 2016-02 2016-03
For importations of subject goods originating in/or exported from China for which the exporter has not been issued specific amounts of subsidy, the countervailing duty is equal to 989.97 Renminbi per metric ton.
- Disclosure of Normal Values and Amounts of Subsidy
The liability for anti-dumping and countervailing duty results from the proceedings conducted under SIMA and from the finding of the CITT. Information regarding the normal value and amount of subsidy of the subject goods in question and the amount of anti-dumping and countervailing duty payable should be obtained from the exporter. Related information may be made available to importers on a need-to-know basis in accordance with the provisions of Memorandum D14-1-2, Disclosure of Normal Values, Export Prices, and Amounts of Subsidy Established Under the Special Import Measures Act to Importers.
For information on duty assessment, refer to the Guide for self-assessing SIMA duties.
- Information Required on Customs Documents
The import documentation should include the information listed below. Failure to provide this information may result in the application of penalties to the importer, pursuant to the Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS).
The import documentation should clearly indicate the following:
- Confirmation whether the product is subject to provisional duty
- Name and address of producer/manufacturer
- Location of plant/mill of production
- Place from which direct shipment to Canada began
- Name and address of vendor (if different from the producer)
- Country of origin
- Country of export
- Canadian customer's name and address
- Full product description of the goods, including:
- product type
- grade or specification
- outside diameter (O.D.)
- nominal wall thickness
- end finish
- surface finish
- other relevant characteristics
- Date of sale, date of shipment
- Quantity (state unit of measure). If "theoretical weight" is used for invoicing purposes, "actual weight" must be clearly indicated
- Unit selling price and total selling price to importer in Canada
- Currency of settlement used (e.g. US$, CDN$, etc.)
- Terms and conditions of sale (e.g. FOB, CIF, etc.) and,
- All costs, expenses, and charges incurred by the exporter and vendor in the shipment of the subject goods to Canada (includes inland and ocean freight, insurance, duties, port and handling charges, etc.)
- The amount of any export taxes applicable to the goods
- Appeal Decisions Relating to Subjectivity
Summaries of appeal decisions made by the CBSA respecting whether an imported good is subject to this measure in force can be found on the SIMA Appeals page.
- Email for Duty Assessment Questions
- CBSA Reference Number(s)
- Dumping file #: 4214-46
- Dumping case #: AD1407
- Subsidy file #: 4218-43
- Subsidy case #: CV142
- CITT Reference Number(s)
- Date modified: