Canada Revenue Agency Alcohol and Tobacco Licenses
Customs Notice 16-02


1. This customs notice provides information regarding the administration of certain Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) licenses, which authorize the licensee to perform particular restricted activities or to obtain the benefit of specific privileges as regards alcohol and tobacco products, by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

2. There are occasions when such licenses are not successfully migrated from the CRA to the CBSA. In such a case the license may not be active in the CBSA's systems, resulting in entries citing the license not being accepted. Should that occur, please send a scanned copy of the CRA license, which provides the license number, effective dates and licensee details, to: The CBSA will advise when the license is ready for use.

3. If the licensee prefers to send the license by post or courier, it should be directed to:

4. A licensee may contact the CBSA, at the same addresses, prior to the first use of the license to confirm that it is active in our systems.

5. For more information on Excise Act, 2001 license types please visit the CRA website

6.  For information on CBSA programs, within Canada call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999. From outside Canada call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Long distance charges will apply. Agents are available Monday to Friday (08:00 – 16:00 local time / except holidays). TTY is also available within Canada: 1-866-335-3237.

Date modified: