Administrative Monetary Penalty System
Person (carrier or freight forwarder) failed to report goods in the prescribed manner, including Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) shipments.
|1st||$150 Footnote *|
|3rd and subsequent||$450|
- Penalty basis
- Per conveyance or reporting submissions
- Retention period
- 12 months
Applied per conveyance regardless of the number of shipments. A penalty may be applied against both the carrier and freight forwarder for the same conveyance. Where a conveyance is not involved, it will be applied per reporting submission (e.g., post-arrival re-manifest).
Applied against a carrier or a freight forwarder in the highway mode where paper documents are required.
Non-compliance occurs when the carrier or freight forwarder fails to report goods in the prescribed manner. Non-compliance includes failing to provide required documentation or failing to provide required documentation in an acceptable format as per the applicable Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document (ECCRD).
- Documentation includes lead sheets, and other paper documents required to report, abstract and re-manifest goods.
- Where lead sheets are required in the highway mode, bar codes must be provided for the Cargo Control Number or Conveyance Reference Number as per Chapter 7 of the ECCRD.
With respect to Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) participants submitting paper documents under Service Option 497, non-compliance occurs when the CSA transporter does not provide the following CSA data elements in a bar-coded format:
- CSA importer Business Number;
- CSA carrier code; and/or,
- Secondary CSA carrier code, when applicable.
All barcodes must be readable, however, a penalty should only be applied when the barcode is visibly deformed or defaced and cannot be scanned.
When a bonded carrier fails to use his authorized bonded carrier code or fails to present a letter of exclusivity when using another bonded carrier's code, see C371.
- D3-1-1, Policy Respecting the Importation and Transportation of Goods
- D3-3-1, Freight Forwarder Pre-arrival and Reporting Requirements
- D3-4-2, Highway Pre-arrival and Reporting Requirements
- D17-1-10, Coding of Customs Accounting Documents
- D23-2-1, Customs Self-Assessment Program for Carriers
- D23-3-1, Customs Self-Assessment Program for Importers
- Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document
- Chapter 4: Advance Commercial Information (ACI)/eManifest Highway
- Chapter 7: Advance Commercial Information (ACI)/eManifest Highway – Portal
- Chapter 8: Advance Commercial Information (ACI)/eManifest House Bill Portal
- Chapter 18: Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) Carrier