Ottawa, July 28, 2020
This document is also available in PDF (149 Kb) [help with PDF files]
This new memorandum describes the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) Rules of Origin.
This memorandum contains a link to the CUSMA Rules of Origin Regulations and provides a link to the Global Affairs Canada website where the Rules of Origin for the CUSMA may be found.
CUSMA Rules of Origin Regulations
Guidelines and general information
1. The CUSMA may be found on the Global Affairs Canada website.
2. Chapter 4 Rules of Origin: The Rules of Origin Chapter contains the general rules of origin that set out the criteria to determine the originating status of a good, as well as other general conditions and requirements.
3. Annex 4-B of the Rules of Origin Chapter: The Product Specific Rules of Origin establish the point at which materials or components have undergone sufficient production within the free trade area for the good produced to be considered originating.
4. Appendix to Annex 4-B of the Rules of Origin Chapter: The provisions related to the Product Specific Rules of Origin for Automotive Goods establish the special requirements that automotive goods must satisfy to be considered originating including regional value content for a vehicle or core parts, labour value content, and steel and aluminum content.
5. Chapter 5 Origin Procedures: The Origin Procedures Chapter, Article 5.16, provides for the establishment of Uniform Regulations regarding the interpretation, application and administration of Chapters 4 and 6. These Uniform Regulations have been trilaterally agreed and are implemented in Canada through the CUSMA Rules of Origin Regulations.
6. Chapter 6 Textiles and Apparel Goods: The Textiles and Apparel Goods Chapter contains the general rules of origin that set out the criteria to determine the originating status of a good, as well as other general conditions and requirements that are specific to textile and apparel goods.
7. For more information, call contact the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS):
Calls within Canada & the United States (toll free): 1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada & the United States (long distance charges apply):
1-204-983-3550 or 1-506-636-5064
Contact Us online (webform)
Contact Us at the CBSA website
- Issuing office
- Trade Policy Division
Trade and Anti-dumping Programs Directorate
Commercial and Trade Branch
- Headquarters file
- Legislative references
- CUSMA Rules of Origin Regulations
- Other references
- Global Affairs Canada
- Superseded memorandum D
- Date modified: