Access to Information and Privacy
Travel History Report

In this section

A Travel History Report is a record of a traveller's entries, exits or both into Canada. This information is collected by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Retention period for a Travel History Report is 15 years.

The CBSA began collecting traveller exit information on foreign nationals (excluding American citizens) entering the United States from Canada on . As of , the CBSA collects exit information on all travellers (including Canadian and American citizens) in the land mode and in the commercial air mode as of . Exit data may also be requested through the Travel History Report.

Highway Passage Reports may also be requested; however, they indicate only that a specific licence plate has been recorded, and do not show the people travelling in the vehicle.

Information collected for Travel History Reports

The records for both Entries and Exits include:

When not to ask for a Travel History Report

When you request your Travel History Report directly from the CBSA it can take up to 30 days to complete. There are many reasons you may require your report, but sometimes requesting it directly is not the best option. When your travel history is needed as part of an application, such as the application for Canadian citizenship, check the form for the option to release your report. Using this option means that you will not have to request it yourself. When this option is available, requesting the report directly from the CBSA will cause a significant delay to your application process. Listed below are the three applications that do not require you to request your report directly from the CBSA.

Applying for Canadian Citizenship: Adults and Minors

If you are applying for Canadian Citizenship, you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can collect the report on your behalf when needed since consent to share information about the entry/exit information is no longer required.

Applying for a Permanent Resident card

If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, (Section 7) Consent to Disclose Information allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.

Getting your Travel History report

If you have checked the When not to request your Travel History Report section and still need to request a copy, you can apply online by following the instructions on the Access to Information and Privacy online request page. Note that it may take up to 30 days to process your request.

If you are applying for yourself, you can do so under the Privacy Act, which is a free service provided by the Government of Canada.

If you are applying for someone else, you must provide form BSF745 - Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Representative completed by the party you are representing.

To get a highway passage report, provide the licence plate number and a copy of the vehicle's ownership. If you are not the owner, you will need to provide the CBSA with a BSF745 form completed by the owner of the vehicle.

When requesting your Travel History Report, you must indicate whether you are seeking your exit information, your entry information, or both. Exit information is limited and will only be included when specifically requested.

Date modified: