Apply for, renew or replace a NEXUS card: What you need before you start
- 1. Benefits of the program
- 2. Who is eligible
- 3. What you need before you start
- 4. How to apply
- 5. After you apply
- 6. Renew or replace
On this page
Citizenship and status requirements
You must provide proof of citizenship or permanent residency, and proof of residency. If you are working or studying in Canada or the U.S., you must also provide your work or study permit.
Proof of citizenship
The following documents are accepted as proof of your Canadian or U.S. citizenship or permanent residency:
- valid passport
- birth certificate and photo ID
- Canadian citizenship certificate or card
- Certificate of Indian Status (Canada)
- U.S. citizenship certificate
- certificate of naturalization (U.S.)
- border crossing card (U.S.)
- Record of Landing (permanent residency in Canada) or valid permanent resident card
If you are a Mexican national who is a Viajero Confiable member, you must provide a valid passport.
Proof of residency
The following documents are accepted as proof of residency:
- valid driver’s license
- provincial identification card
- federal identification card
- any document with a current address, such as a utility bill or bank statement
You will need to pay a $50 (USD) non-refundable application processing fee. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
The following payment types are accepted:
- Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diner’s Club or JCB)
- Direct transfer from a bank account (U.S. banks only)
Did you find what you were looking for?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry to hear that. Do you have 5 minutes to help us improve this page?
- Date modified: